accessible-iOS Re: Gmail question

  • From: Christopher Chaltain <chaltain@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accessible-ios@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 23:22:32 -0500

OK, if you're using Gmail's web interface, when you delete a message it'll go to the Gmail/Trash folder. You won't have any other Trash folder unless you create it yourself. Nothing will go into a Trash folder you create yourself unless you move it there.

Most modern email clients know that this is how Gmail works, so when you create a Gmail account, anything you delete will be sent to the Gmail/Trash folder. Of course, you can still create your own Trash folder and move messages into it.

Some older email clients didn't use Gmail/Trash for their deleted messages, so if you didn't change this behavior then a Trash folder would be created and used by that particular email client. There may still be some email clients that behave this way. You could also go into various email clients and change what folder gets used for deleted messages.

You could also have a Trash folder on your local drive, which wouldn't be part of Gmail and may be associated with another account in your email client.

If it were me, I'd make note of the messages that show up in each Trash folder and which client you used to delete those messages. I would then check my configurations for the different email clients. I'd also check any rules I've created to automatically delete messages.

I only have a Gmail/Trash folder in my Gmail account and I don't see any other Trash folders in my Gmail account, regardless of which client I use. In the past, Thunderbird would create a Trash folder and use it, but this was only until I reconfigured it. Note Thunderbird doesn't do this any more.

On 07/01/2013 11:05 PM, Shane Clark wrote:
Chris,
Could you please explain that again? *smile*
I have emails that I deleted from my inbox that went to the trash folder, and
the same goes for the gmail trash folder.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 1, 2013, at 11:09 PM, Christopher Chaltain <chaltain@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The default is that Gmail will use the Trash folder which is a sub folder of
the Gmail folder. This is the folder where you'll see the Drafts, Sent Mail and
so on sub folders in addition to your Trash folder.

Of course, you can create any folder you want, so it's possible that you or
your email client created a Trash folder somewhere else. The only time I've
seen a Trash folder created in the root of my Gmail server is when I configured
my email client incorrectly. There was a time when Thunderbird didn't configure
itself very well when using Gmail, so if you weren't careful how you configured
Thunderbird, you might end up using the wrong Trash or Drafts folder. That
isn't an issue any longer.

BTW, what are you finding in these two different Trash folders?

On 07/01/2013 09:40 PM, Shane Clark wrote:
Hi,
I've noticed that my Gmail folders have a trash and gmail trash folder. Could
someone please explain what the differences in these folders are?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPadWith questions, concerns or issues not related to the topics
discussed on list please email the list admin to: beto.arreola22@xxxxxxxxx, or
on skype at betoa221, or on twitter: betoa221

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail