accessible-iOS Links versus embedded articles [was "Re: Re: 10 Mail Tips for iPhone & iPad to Help You Email Smarter"]

  • From: Christopher Chaltain <chaltain@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accessible-ios@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 11:28:09 -0500

I myself prefer a link over an embedded article. As someone says, it reduces the size of the email. Furthermore, many articles have restrictions on whether they can be copied and redistributed or not, and if they are redistributed then certain information needs to be preserved. I know no one would ever do this, but I'm also sure that the content of the article hasn't been edited or changed in any way if I'm looking at the actual web page. The actual web site frequently also has comments and links to other information that's often interesting. A compromise might be including the link along with the text of the article, but I don't have any problem clicking on a link if I'm interested in the material.

On 08/23/2013 10:09 AM, Tj wrote:
I myself would rather have the text because half the time the links do
not work.

I for one thank you for the information that was supplied.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Josh Gregory" <joshkart12@xxxxxxxxx>
Author: Paul Horowitz

We all need as much help as we can get with email, and that's why we're
offering up a slew of tricks to help master the Mail app on your
iPhone,
iPad, and iPod touch. With ten tips ranging from having more emails be
visible and stored on the device, to bulk management, to replying
smarter,
moving recipients around quickly, the quickest way to access drafts
and add
attachments to a message, and using Siri to compose complete emails,
you're
sure to become more efficient working with emails in the iOS Mail
app while
you're on the go.

1: Move Email Addresses to Different Recipient Fields (To, CC, BCC)
Decide at the last minute you want to blind carbon copy someone
instead? No
biggie, just do this:

Tap and hold on an email address or contact name, and then drag it
between
TO, CC, BCC

Of course, you can move addresses to any of the fields, from BCC to
CC, TO
to CC, whatever. Beats typing out an address again, doesn't it?

2: Show More Emails in Inbox
Want to have more emails be immediately visible in the inbox,
without having
to retrieve them from a remote mail server? This is the setting for
you, it
will keep more emails stored on the device, letting you see more
directly on
the iPhone, iPad, or iPod:

Go to Settings then to "Mail, Calendar, Contacts"
Tap "Show" and choose "100 Recent Messages" or higher

The default setting is "50 Recent Messages", which means that 50 mail
messages will be visible in the inbox by default, and scrolling
beyond that
must access the remote mail server to retrieve another 50. Changing
this
setting is very helpful if you wrangle a huge inbox, though the higher
settings (500-1000 messages) can have some undesirable side effects of
slowing down Mail app on older devices, and even increasing that
"Other"
space that shows up in iTunes.

3: See More Emails Per Mail Screen
This setting displays more emails per screen in Mail app by
adjusting the
message body preview size. The default is set to 2 lines, but by
moving it
to 1 line or None, you can see many more emails instantly without
having to
scroll at all:

In Settings, go to "Mail, Calendar, Contacts" and choose "Preview"
Tap on "None" or "1 Line" to show more emails on each mail screen

Notice how this differs from the previous tip, in that more emails are
visible on each mail screen, but it has no impact on the total
number of
emails shown in an inbox without accessing the server again.

4: Quickly Access All Saved Drafts
There is a super quick way to access saved email drafts in iOS:

Tap and hold on the Compose icon to jump to the Drafts folder

This accesses all drafts, whether they were created and saved on the
iPhone
or iPad, or on a remote server or webmail client like Gmail. This
very handy
feature was introduced a while ago and retains full functionality in
Mail
app for iOS 7. Use it, you'll appreciate it!

5: Bulk Manage Groups of Emails: Mark as Read, Unread, Delete
Managing a group of multiple emails is easy in iOS Mail app, but it
may not
be immediately obvious to all users:

From the mailbox you want to adjust, tap on "Edit" then tap each mail
message you want to adjust so that it's highlighted with a checkmark
Tap on "Move" to send the emails to the Trash for bulk deleting, or to
another inbox
Tap on "Mark" to flag the emails as spam, or mark as read or unread

This is very helpful if you've gotten a barrage of messages that are
either
unimportant or just need to mark as read, or when you need to Trash
a bunch
of them that are clogging up your inbox.

6: Increase Font Size to Read Email Content Easier
The text size of emails is pretty small by default, and even those
of us
with moderately decent eyesight can have a hard time reading through
long
messages at such a tiny font size. Fortunately, it's really easy to
increase
the size of the email text to something much more legible:

Open Settings, then go to "General" and "Accessibility"
Tap on "Large Text" (iOS 6) or "Larger Type" (iOS 7) and choose a size
better for your needs

Something to consider with this option is that it will also increase
the
font size shown in text messages and iMessages within Messages app,
which is
actually really nice and makes those messages much easier to read as
well.

7: Reply to Portion of Email with Smart Quotes
Smart Quotes are a little-used feature of iOS Mail app that let you
reply to
just a specific portion of an email, and they're very easy to use:

Tap and select any portion of an email to include in the reply, then
tap the
"Reply" button as usual

The new email message will now only contain the portion of the email
you
selected, rather than the entire thing.

8: Ditch or Modify the "Sent from my iPhone" Signature
The default signature for emails sent from any iOS device identifies
that
device as "Sent from my iPhone" or "Sent from my iPad". If you want to
change it or delete it, it's quite simple:

Open Settings, then go to "Mail, Contacts, Calendars"
Tap on "Signature" to modify or delete it

We generally recommend keeping these signatures for a variety of
reasons,
including the brevity expectation, but if you want to delete it or
modify
it, it's easy enough to change back.

9: Insert Pictures Into Emails Faster with a Tap
You can easily insert a picture or two into an email message just by
doing
the following:

Tap and hold in the message body, and choose "Insert Photo or Video"
to find
the picture or movie to attach

Images can be inserted anywhere into email messages this way, and
it's much
much easier than poking around in the Photos app to create a new
email from
there, or using the copy and paste method to place images into emails.

10: Compose & Send a Quick Email with Siri
Don't want to type out an email message, or maybe you're hands are
busy?
Siri can write it for you using a simple mail composition command:

Summon Siri and say "Write an email to [recipient name] about
[subject] and
say [message body]

This is really helpful in situations where your hands need to be
mostly free
and you can't spend time looking at your iPhone or iPad screen,
whether that's
because you're just occupied doing something else, riding a bike,
walking,
or maybe you just hate typing on the touch screens.

With questions, concerns or issues not related to the topics
discussed on list please email the list admin to:
beto.arreola22@xxxxxxxxx, or on skype at betoa221, or on twitter:
betoa221

accessible-ios-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with subscribe on the subject
line.

accessible-ios-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with unsubscribe in the subject
line.

[...]

-----
No virus found in this message.

With questions, concerns or issues not related to the topics discussed
on list please email the list admin to: beto.arreola22@xxxxxxxxx, or on
skype at betoa221, or on twitter: betoa221

accessible-ios-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with subscribe on the subject line.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail