[accesscomp] International Association of Visually Impaired Technologists

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 07:24:17 -0700

fyi. Bob     I certainly do agree that there is a significant problem in the
blind
community where most of us don't know what the others are up against. I
don't know what its like to be blind while living in a rural area or small
town. Really, all I know about is what its like to be a blind computer nerd
in a university town. And that led me to start the International Association
of Visually Impaired Technologists because existing organizations for the
blind weren't serving our needs. No criticism intended to the ACB or the NFB
but their priorities just aren't our priorities.

I think its just human nature to assume that your experience is applicable
to everyone. But it may be a worse problem for blind people because on the
average, blind people don't get around as much as sighted people.

PS: For those interested in the International Association of Visually
Impaired Technologists see http://www.iavit.org/