[accesscomp] Fw: [Danstips] dan's tip for july fourth 2012, my data manager

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 11:35:53 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "dan thompson" <dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "dan's tips" <danstips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 7:40 AM
Subject: [Danstips] dan's tip for july fourth 2012, my data manager

Waste Not Want More, My Data Manager App for IOS and Android

dated 28. June 2012 - 4:41 by NicNeely

You really ought to never pay more than necessary. For example, four tires
on a car is a wasteful remnant of the early 2000's unnecessary spending.
Motorcycles run just fine on two wheels all the time. Just like an
extraneous pair of tires, extra data you don't use on your phone can gnaw
away at your bank account. The app of the week is My Data Manager, which
tracks data usage so that you can plan ahead for the month.

Now there is a growing trend among data providers to cap data usage or
throttle speed when you hit a certain limit. Traditionally, the more data
you're allowed, the more you allow these providers to riffle through your
pockets. What this app can do is to show you the amount of data you use each
day, enabling you to make a more educated decision about which data plan to
subscribe to.

My Data Manager allows you to inspect data usage in a variety of ways.

In Data Apps, it shows you how much data each individual app or service is
using via mobile, roaming and Wi-Fi, letting you bring swift justice upon
frivolous data wasting apps (this function does drain battery power a little
more but not much).

In Data Graph, it allows you to look at a bar chart showing total data usage
via mobile, roaming and Wi-Fi per day, per month or during a plan cycle
you've set.

At time of testing this app, I found that its other features were coded
quite differently between the Android and iOS devices. Using this app for
the Android, you can check data usage in a pie chart; while running this app
for the iOS, you can view the amount of data you use on a map, with larger
dots representing more usage in that area (no idea why this is helpful
information though).

Besides just courteously reminding you on just how much information you used
while bored at your distant relative's wedding, this app on both mobile
operating systems can also help you prevent going over the data plan.
Through the options menu, you can set alarms or notifications that alert you
once you've gone past a certain amount of data usage.

My Data Manager - Free Android / iOS App of the Week

For iPhone and iPad
Size: 5.4 MB
Download: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-data-manager/id477865384?mt=8

For Android
Size: 1.0 MB
Download:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm

Dan Thompson
dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx
this message has been scanned with microsoft security essentials