[accesscomp] Fw: [Danstips] web sites of the week

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 09:49:43 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "dan thompson" <dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "dan's tips" <danstips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 8:08 AM
Subject: [Danstips] web sites of the week

Web Sites Of the Week

7/6/2012

1.  Website For Pregnancy

Come to CafeMom & Chat w. Moms About Your Pregnancy. Join Today!
www.cafemom.com/Pregnancy

On this site one can sign up and get tips from other Mothers nd/or expecting
Mothers.  When first coming into the site if using a screenreader, press the
letter f  to land into the beginning edit of this sign up form entitled
"first name."  Continue arrowing down and entering requested information and
submit at the end.  You will receive a confirmation email that has
information how to confirm your subscription.

2. Build a Web Site Today

Easy as 1-2-3! Incl: templates, content, photo album, images & more
www.godaddy.com/

This site has been around for quite sometime.  However, recently several
individuals have inquired about where to start a webpage and I felt this is
one of the more [ popular and trusted sites.

3.    Webopedia is a great site to look up phrases, terms, and abbreviations
connected to computers and the internet. It's strong point is that anyone
from beginners to advanced will find it useful. The site description is spot
on: "....Webopedia provides easy-to-understand definitions in plain
language, avoiding the use of heavy jargon when possible so that the site is
accessible to users with a wide range of computer knowledge."

The Term of the Day, Quick Reference and Did You Know sections are full of
useful articles.
I also very useful is the WeboBlog  found at

http://www.webopedia.com/welcomead/

and found the Categories page helpful for quick navigation.
Some sections like the Term of the Day are sponsored but there's a
refreshing lack of ads where the content is.
There are ads on the site but I found them to well placed and non-intrusive.
If you decide to get the free eBook you'll need to create an account while
the newsletter needs an email address.

Link to the Free Ebook signup is below

http://www.tumbleinto.com/search.aspx?q=free+ebook&x=0&y=0

Webopedia main link is below

http://www.webopedia.com/

4.   From Topdot Enterprises comes the following finds:

a.  RoboBraille now allows you to convert PowerPoint presentations into
.rtf, tagged .pdf, or .zip web projects, and to convert word documents into
tagged .pdf:

http://www.robobraille.org/web/

B.  Serotek has initiated an arrangement whereby you can use their screen
reader, online service and OCR program for $21.95 per month.

http://serotalk.com/2012/07/01/anywhere-everywhere-that%e2%80%99s-accessibility/

c.  Here is a guide to using the built-in accessibility features on the new
iPad, by Amber Bobner of the Wonderbaby website, courtesy of Insight
Magazine of the RNIB.

http://www.rnib.org.uk/professionals/Documents/insight_40_ipad.doc

d.  The OpenCulture site features some 500 free college courses, links to
free materials for learning some 40 languages, and more:

http://www.openculture.com/?view=mobile

e.  This is a very basic listing of Best Android Apps for the blind and
visually impaired:

http://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-apps-visually-impaired-blind-97471/

f.  From the HowToGeek site, we learn How to Easily Watch Netflix and Hulu
From Anywhere in the World:

http://www.howtogeek.com/117528/how-to-easily-watch-netflix-and-hulu-from-anywhere-in-the-world/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=280612

And Add Multiple Types of Items to the Desktop Context Menu in Windows 7 or
8:

http://www.howtogeek.com/117477/add-program-shortcuts-urls-files-and-folders-to-the-desktop-context-menu-in-windows-7-or-8/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=280612

g.  GW Micro has posted the article, "Links Not Accessible in HTML Emails"
to its knowledgebase.

http://gwmicro.com/kb2016

h.  EASI offers a 4-part, fee-based Webinar Series: Streaming More
Accessible Multimedia, starting 10 July:

https://www.secure.servsite.com/easi/enrollment/dates.shtml

I.  ) Here's the latest on the status of The Qube, the excellent PC-based
screen-reader-friendly Twitter client.

http://www.quartzprojects.co.uk/?p=20

J.  ) LookTel Breadcrumbs GPS will be an interesting entry in the arena of
GPS Apps for the iPhone. It is not available yet, but thorough documentation
is.

http://www.looktel.com/breadcrumbs-documentation

K.  The latest Tech doctor podcast is entitled "Talking 2012 Apple MacBooks"
with Katie Floyd.

http://www.dr-carter.com/?p=120

If you hve any ideas for future tips or questions contact me at

Dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx

Dan Thompson
dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx
this message has been scanned with microsoft security essentials