[accesscomp] Fw: ArtofTravel and Authonomy (site for unplubished authors), Sites for May 20-24 2013

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "access comp" <accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 17:02:23 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: dan Thompson
To: dan Thompson
Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2013 10:40 AM
Subject: ArtofTravel and Authonomy (site for unplubished authors), Sites for
May 20-24 2013

Sorry for the delay in this tip.  I got a bit overwelmed the last few days.  A
sond board failed just before graduation and  I needed to fix it and go pick up
a play toy for outside for our grand-daughter.  Time went way faster than I
expected.

Below I  have provided directions on using two book sites.  The start of each
article is marked with an asterisk.  Enjoy the reading and have a great weekend.

*I.   ArtofTravel

ArtofTravel offers the ebook, How to See the World, backpacking on $25 a day or
less for free reading online.

http://www.artoftravel.com/

Special Note:    As noted below directly from the homepage, there are "120
illustrations" greeted with: in the book.  I have copied each chapter out into
a folder and also pasted the chapters into  a text copy of the boook for
screenreaders users.  However there will be no illustrations.  So if any one
would like one sent to them privately, please send an email  with

"ArtofTravel" in the subject line."

In this document I explain how to reach various parts of the book using
screenreading software. If using a mouse, one only need to highlight a specific
link and click to activate it.

1.  When arriving at the link above, one wiss welcome with:
"Welcome, Voyager, ARTOFTRAVEL.COM, Presents, "How to See the World, Art of
Travel, European and World Backpacking, On $25 a Day or Less."

s Book
Copyright © John Gregory 2009

Here in 25 chapters, 100,000 words, and 120 illustrations is How to See the
World. Written by an independent traveler of 35 countries via eight economical
tours, this complete online guide has tips, commentary, and humor for travelers
of every kind. It contains no advertising or commercial contracts."

2.  When using screenreading software, pressing the letter h once will places
the cursor on "Table of Contents."

Each section of the book is its own link.

3.  Press the letter h a second time and "part one is reached."

Below are the sections found in part one: "Art of Travel"

"a.  People and Diplomacy

b.  Verbal and Nonverbal Communication

c.  Hostels, Backpacker Hotels, Private Homes, Campgrounds, Palapas, And Free
Accommodation

d.  How to Get Cheap Flights

e.  Passports and Visas

f.  Fears and Concerns

g. Money, Bargaining, and Begging

h.  Pickpockets, Thieves, and Self-Defense

i.  Effects of the Sun, Maladies, etc.

j.  Water

k.  Guidebooks, Other Information Sources, and Emergency Thinking

l.  Items of the Eye

m.  Hitchhiking"

4.  the next heading covers topics in part two: "Backpacking"

"a.  Walking and Backpacks

b.  Clothing and Laundry

c.  Essential Items

d.  Sleeping Bags and Pads

e.  Tents

f.  Stoves and Cooksets

g.  Organization and Packing

5.  the next heading covers part three;  "Compendium

"

"a.  Considerations

b.  Poems

c.  Selected Sites

d.  Checklists

e.  Bibliography

f.  Addendum

6.   When arriving at the homepage link shown at the very start of this
article, press the letter h twice to arrive at "part one."

7.  "arrow down once to reach the llink of  "People and Diplomacy" and press
enteror click on the link.

8.  Press the letter h three times and  the cursor is placed on "Traveling
Alone."  This is the start of chapter one.

9.  From this point on, one can check out the text by using  the "read to end"
feature of their screenreading software or scroll down with a mouse.

10.   In order to create your own complete copy of the book on your computer or
external drive, do the following.

a.  Create a folder  for the book's chapters probably called the book's title.

If you do not know how, follow the next few steps.

Move to where you wish the folder to be placed.

Then press the application key once.

Next press the letter w for new.

Next, press the letter f for folder or just press enter since "folder" is
usually the default choice.

Next, type in a folder name such as the name of this book.

Finally, press enter.  Now move to the next step "b."

b.  I would recommend creating a sub-folder of "part one" in the main folder
you just created.  Follow  the information up step A shown above.  This should
be done for each sub-folder as mentioned below.

b.  Move to the top of the homepage of this book using the link found at the
beginning of this article.

c.  Press the letter h until locating "part one."

d.  Arrow down once to "People and Diplomacy."

e.  Press enter on the link.

f.  Press alt plus the letter f followed by the letter a for "save as."

g.  Tab once to "save as type."

h. Press the letter t for "text."

i.  Navigate to the folder created for the book and  oopen it by hitting enter.

j.  Press alt plus the letter n to check if the file name is correct.

k.  Press alt plus s.

l. Back space once and move to the next link in this part and repeat steps "E
through K."

11.  Continue repeating the same process in steps "E through K" in step ten
until finishing part one.

12. Next,  you might want to creat a sub-folder in the book's main folder
called "part two."  Then put in all the chapters.  If you do not, the computer
will arrange the titles alphabetical.  This would end up with things out of
order.

Q13.  Once completing adding to "part two", create another sub folder called
"part three" and continue on as before.

Happy traveling!!!

*II.    Authonomy a website set up by Harper Collins publishing for unpublished
authors to display their works.  All are available for free reading online
without registration.

http://authonomy.com/

Special note:  Where I mentioned to press enter, mous users can just click.

1.  Once arriving at the link above and using screenreading software, press the
letter h twice.  The cursor is placed on "view all."

2.  Press enter on this link.

3.  One can press the letter d repeatidly  to explore the two drop down lists
available.  They are:

"all genres" In This drop down box there are 27 selections.

"editor's desk" In this section there are two choices.

4.  In this example I am going to press the letter d until reaching "all
genres."  Then I will press alt plus down arrow to open the drop down box.

5.  I am choosing the first selection of "fiction."

Therefore, leaving the cursor on "fiction", I will tab once.

The cursor is placed on  "link 1."

6.  Arrow down once to the title of this book which is "Cypher ."

7.  If you arrowdown,  one finds the author's nme and a brief discription of
the book.

8.  Make sure the book's link title is highlighted and press enter to open the
book.

9.  Place your screenreading software in "links list mode" and press the letter
r.  You are placed on "read the book.

10.  Each chapter of the book has its ownlink.  After you pressed enter on
"read the book", c chapter one is opened.  If you wanted to take the long way
to the start of chapter one, press the letter h until reaching chapter one's
heading.  Then arrow down or press your screenreader's software's command for
"read to end" and listen.

11.  The quick way to reach  chapter one's gbeginning is to:

a.  Press control plus f.

b.  Type in 1940 and press enter.

c.  You are now on the first line of chapter one.

12.    Now you can backspace to the homepage and explore more or visit the link
at the start of this rticle.

Share this site with other authors wishing to share their unpublished works.

verse of the Week

For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we

can do the good things he planned for us long ago.

   --Ephesians 2:10, NLT

"Lord Jesus, you satisfy the deepest longing of our heart and you feed us with
the finest of wheat (Psalm 81:16). Fill me with gratitude and give me a
generous heart that I may freely share with others what you have given to me."

Psalm 27:1-4, 11-14

1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the
stronghold of my life;  of whom shall I be afraid?
2 When evildoers assail me, uttering slanders against me, my adversaries and
foes, they shall stumble and fall.
3 Though a host encamp against me, my heart shall not fear;  though war arise
against me, yet I will be confident.
4 One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after;  that I may dwell
in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the
LORD, and to inquire in his temple.
11 Teach me your way, O LORD; and lead me on a level path because of my
enemies.
12 Give me not up to the will of my adversaries; for false witnesses have risen
against me, and they breathe out violence.
13 I believe that I shall see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the
living!
14 Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage;  yes, wait
for the LORD!

to ssubscribe, email dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx with subscribe in the subject.

This email has been scanned by Microsoft Security Essentials