[access-uk] Re: wireless networks

  • From: "Mark Berrisford-Smith" <mark.berrisford-smith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 06:57:13 -0000

Tony,

You can have both machines connected by wireless, and everything ought to
work fine. That is exactly my setup - anything which saves on cabling has to
be good!

There is one downside. It is strongly recommended that should you need to
upload new firmware to the router, this should be done via a cable
connection. This isn't a problem for me,  as I also use a laptop for work
which has to be connected via an ethernet cable. As  a general rule, I'd
avoid fiddling with the router as far as possible. They can be a bit of a
minefield, so if you get it working, leave well alone.

It is, however, a good idea to save the router's settings to your PC, just
in case something goes wrong, but this should be fine done via a wireless
link.

When I did all this about a year ago, the biggest hassle was setting up the
wireless cards on the PCs. The configuration utility which came with my
D-link cards was not very accessible. It might be worth taking more advice
on this aspect, as much may have changed.

All the best, Mark

Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 6:12 AM
Subject: [access-uk] wireless networks

> Hello,
> I am going to set up a wirelessnetwork with my laptop and desktop, is it
necessary to have one computer wired to the router, or can I have both
computers connected to the router wirelessly?