[access-uk] slightly ot questions about plextalk reader

  • From: "Jim" <jimmcauslan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access uk" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 17:05:29 +0100

Hi List,

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic but I have a Plextalk reader from the
RNIB talking book service. I think the sound quality is okay but the machine
itself is very noisy.  It sounds like that every couple of minutes the disk
whirs noisily, as if either the laser is scanning ahead or the disk is
catching up.  After a few minutes the disk seems to stop revolving and whirs
down to silence.  I had similar problems with a few victor classics, and
thought that a Plextalk machine would be better, but sadly not.  I recall
that earlier versions of the Victor classic which had volume, speed and tone
pots had none of these problems.
I find that this problem seriously detracts from my listening pleasure.

Can this problem be overcome?  Is there a Plextalk list?

Best wishes

Jim McAuslan from sunny Findhorn