[access-uk] Re: ram installation

  • From: "Mark Threadgold" <m.j.threadgold@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 16:28:01 +0100

Danielle,

Different motherboards allow ram to be used in different amounts from one
slot to another.  Without checking your motherboard manual you won't know
what the maximum value of ram you can install in each slot is.  This value
can differ from slot to slot as I found a couple of years ago.  I put in a
512 and the slot was not capable of taking more than 256 so it reported the
module was only 256 meg.  By moving it to another slot it worked fine.  If
you still have the 256 you can try putting it back into the origional slot
and checking how much the machine will then see.  It should work fine and it
is extremely unlikely you have done any damage to it.

regards,  Mark