[access-uk] Re: questions about claiming vat

  • From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 00:22:04 -0000

Hi Husna.

There was a loophole, I believe now long since closed where some blind people
were claiming that due to the iPhone, iPad and Mac products having built in
accessibility, this somehow exempted them from paying the VAT payable on such
purchases.  The rules pertaining to this though require that the product be
especially for the use of a disabled person and that special adaptations are
made to that effect, so since you can buy an iPad, phone or Mac from any store
and turn on voice over, it is a feature rather than an adaptation so the
exemption doesn’t apply.

All the best, Ibrahim.

  From: "Jim McAuslan"
  To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: [access-uk] questions about claiming vat

  Hi List,

  I'm buying a mac pro very soon. A friend told me that I could claim the
  vat back on such a product.
  I know the list covered this a while ago but I've forgotten how it was
  achieved.
  Any help greatly appreciated.

  --
  Jim McAuslan from sunny Findhorn