[access-uk] Re: questions about claiming vat

  • From: Shaun O'Connor <capricorn8159@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 15:04:18 +0000

first and foremost, I think your points regarding VAT exemption are
pretty much a accurate reflection on current policy with regard to
access technology.and associated goods.
now onto another point , which is tangentially related but i think a
good point worth noting.

if you purchase books in digital format( IE as an electronic download)
you pay VAT on them whereas if you buy a physical copy of the same book,
you DO NOT PAY VAT ON THAT ITEM..
a rather odd situation when we are supposed to be doing all we can do
preserve the environment..it actually give s pause for thought, how
serious are governments about this issue really?. binary data does not
of itself lead to waste whereas paper is more likelty to do so and
consequently also results in deforestation .