[access-uk] Re: network and internet connection puzzle

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 15:33:49 +0100

Hi,

Sorry to jump right in the middle here.

Marie, I have seen the livebox, and I think you only have one port on the
Livebox right?

You are making a bit of a complex setup, because you have two networks running
like that.  What I would do is to disconnect the cable you currently have, then
connect the livebox to the computer via RJ45.  The other computer can then use
the wireless network from the livebox to talk with both the Internet and the
other computer - they are on the same internal network connected through the
livebox.

An alternative way is to buy a network switch.  This is a piece of hardware
with several ports on it, the live box plugs into one port, and you plug the
other computers into the other ports on the switch.  However, I suspect the
other cable linking the two original computers is a crossover cable, and you
need a straight-through cable with a switch.

Billy, you can certainly do this, this is the whole point of a router.

Andrew.