[access-uk] Re: connecting external HD to wireless network

  • From: "Barry Toner" <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:31:35 -0000

Phil,

You've two options.

1.        Have the drive setup on say your desktop, as a shared network
drive.

Or

Buy a Network Attached Storage (NAS), hard drive.  This drive will then plug
directly into your routers Ethernet port and will make the files always
available regardless what machine is on or off.

As to actually connecting your exsisting drive to the router I don't think
this is possible.  If If it's a 3.5" drive you could google to see if you
can buy NAS enclosures to put the drive in and that would work.

If it's a sealed drive like say one of the passport drives I don't think you
can open them.  I have had 2.5" and 1.4" HD's arrive in little USB
enclosures that could be opened either buy sliding and lifting the lid or
that had little tiny screws in them that I've unscrewed.  These are very
fiddly screws though, not much bigger than jewler screws in watches and the
like.  So I'm not sure if you can get NAS's for anything smaller than 3.5"
drives.

Hopefully that's given you something to mull over.

Barry,.