[access-uk] Re: can I add wireless to a desktop computer?

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 09:42:06 -0000

Hi Simon,

Yes indeed you can, and in fact I've just done it about a week ago.

I bought a Wireless PCI card for my Windows 7 Desk top from PC World .
I'm not at home right now where the box is, but the receipt says "LINK
SYS WL N PTWK PCI ADP" and the Item Number 0000421378.  Cost was
£69.99.

This card appears to be a cut above the rest for a variety of
technical reasons.  I have 10 Megabyte Virgin Cable, and I'm getting
as good a speed wirelessly as I do when I hard-wire connect to Virgins
router.  I can't quite say the same for my wife's or my HP laptops. I
have around a 50 meg download from the States I do every day, so at
least have a benchmark.

I don't know where your local PC World is, but do be careful over your
selection.  There were cards and USB wireless devices upwards of
£29.95 which looked like they might do the same job - but looking very
closely at the small print, I concluded that they were probably only
OK if you were virtually next door to the wireless router.

George.