[access-uk] Re: Your thoughts on access keys on websites?

  • From: Catherine Turner <catherineturner2007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:51:54 +0000

Oh dear, I'm going to throw a spanner in the works.  On the whole, I
don't used access keys.  However on a couple of sites I use heavily on
a daily basis I find them useful, and they don't interfere with my
screen reader.  I use Firefox where you press alt shift key to
activate the access keys.  I do find them useful and wouldn't want to
be without them for these specific websites, though yes there are
alternative ways.  When I use Internet Explorer the access keys rarely
work properly.  I wonder whether it's possible to keep them and have
them not interfere with screen readers, but I suspect this is not
possible since some may use alt shift as keystrokes.  I do think it's
a shame though, as they are useful, and I wish there was a way of
implementing them in such a way where the browser could switch them
on/off as desired so I could have my access keys, and those who don't
want them can ditch them...

Catherine