[access-uk] Re: Wireless routers

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:21:43 +0100

The WRT300N seems to be one of the new breed of draft-N compatible routers
(802.11n).  I would say that if you don't know what that is you probably don't
have a need for it, quite apart from the fact that you would need other
compatible adaptors in order to take advantage of the speed increase draft-N
gives you.  If you have adaptors built into your present laptops or desktop
machines they will probably run up to 802.11g which is fast enough for web
browser and downloading stuff even though the wireless speed does not aproahc
anything like that of a fixed wired network that draft-N does.

Draft-N is attractive to those kind of people who want to stream multiple audio
or video accross the network and are willing to take the risk that draft-N will
be improved and ratified, and then suplied as some kind of firmware upgrade for
their kit.

I'd take the cheaper option unless you really plan on streaming media or if you
have the money to burn and desire to have the fastest on the planet.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support