[access-uk] Re: [VICUG-L] installing win2000pro?

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "goshawk" <goshawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <VICUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:53:22 -0000

Hi Simon,

I guess the first question to ask is why install an
operating system which has reached the end of its
life-cycle?  Microsoft stopped supplying on March 31st 2005.

Essentially Windows XP Professional is the current
equivalent, and indeed fixes many problems inherent in
Windows 2000.  But do you in fact need all the security
features of XP or even Windows 2000.  XP Home itself is
cheaper, and a major improvement anyway.

The most important consideration is the hardware itself, so
take a look at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.ms
px, and be prepared for even more research of the individual
components such as CD writers, etc.  Check with the
individual manufacturers to ensure their hardware is up
scratch.

Bear in mind that you may need to upgrade your screen
reader, and in some cases, it may be necessary to migrate to
the professional version of that.

George.