[access-uk] Re: USB soundcard help please.

  • From: Jonathan H <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 08:53:37 +0100

I'm definitely a fan of the Focusrite 2i2. In fact, I got lucky on Prime
day and got a complete Rode NT1a mic bundle for £99, and a refurb but fully
guaranteed Focusrite Scarlette 2i2 from "Why buy new" on ebay for a grand
total of £183 inc vat and delivery (best my local shop could do was £260
for the two - it's not like there's a few quid in it!)

And remember, for all this talk of new PCs and motherboards, remember here
that the 2i2 does ALL the work - it acts as both input and output audio
devices.
You could have a motherboard with NO audio on at all, and you'd still be
able to record with xlr and jack connections, and playback through monitor
speakers or headphones.

I'm not sure Firewire is either the way to go here, or indeed has any
advantage. In fact, I can't think of multiple disadvantages, needless
expense being the very least.

I also can't think of any current Mac that comes with Firewire, meaning
another £25 before you've even started down the Mac route.

Maybe I'm missing some point here?