[access-uk] Re: Transferring to a New PC

  • From: "Vince Thacker" <vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:26:43 +0100

Hi there,

There's a big difference between copying documents - you just copy them - and copying software, where you don't know where all the files are, and you don't know what hoops it jumps through to install.

So, firstly documents. If both machines have USB ports, you could use Microsoft activeSync to update the My Documents folder on the new machine from the old one.

Or, and this is what I had to do with my last machine - copy the documents on to floppies and transfer them like that. It takes forever and a day, but it's still a relief not to have to start from scratch.

Documents can be compressed into ZIP files with Winzip or WinRAR or similar. If you don't know about that, I can give you more details. I had about 10 folders within My Docs, and each one became a ZIP file, or several ZiP files that I could transfer on to floppies. It is ever so long-winded doing this, but needs must.

JAWS I know nothing about. I'm sure your best plan is to install it from original discs on to the new machine, or maybe they'll let you download it if you're a legitimate user. You might have to sweet-talk Freedom Scientific or your dealer.

Things like extra scripts you could copy like documents, I presume, as they're only text files as far as I know.

You're really best to make fresh installations of software from your original discs or from downloads. The reason is that most modern software is pretty complex. You'll find a folder in Program Fils with some of the stuff in, and there will be other parts in Windows folders, such as \Windows\System32 - and then there's the dreaded reigstry settings, which you'd have to be a real techie to know about. Then there are other bits in Common Files, and you'd need to know which ocx files and dlls to transfer, , , blah blah, blah. It's just not possible in one short lifetime.

Well, I don't know whether that's any use at all, but there are some initial thoughts on the matter. Don't despair, it will be worth it!

Vince.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Howie, Sam" <Sam.Howie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>