[access-uk] Re: Technology Now & Then for Vips

  • From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 14:26:36 +0100

Hi Martin.

There was a keynote speech synthesiser which was entirely software based, it was one of the first ever text to speech synths that didn't need supporting hardware to run only a sound card. They did 16-bit and 32-bit versions for windows 3.1X and windows 95 respectively, but for some reason discontinued it. The very first example of text to speech synths came with the sound blaster card, I think the AWE32 model. I'm pretty sure it was called Keystone but don't quote me on that *smile*. Anyway, back to the keynote gold synth, it used the then standard SSIL interface developed I think by arkenstone and which was an architecture that allowed for interoperability with screen access and other access products with a much wider variety of synths. All the synth manufacturer or developer would have to do is create an SSIL driver and Jaws, Lexis etc would instantly work with it.

All the best, Ibrahim.