[access-uk] Re: Taking the plunge with WE after 10 years

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 12:03:52 -0000

Hi Tristram,

Re: Vista Ultimate Edition and your comment:

"It is not entirely clear who exactly other than die hard
tech heads and gamers will go for this and is unlikely to
just be installed as standard but rather a user upgrade
which is likely to see many domestic customers eyes water."

That was is an absolute master of understatement. =20

They have got much of the security tied down so tight and
turned on by default, your blood boils as well.  Supposedly
simple things, like sharing a printer, became a nightmare
for me until I found a setting buried in Vista's "Network
Control Centre" called "Passworded Sharing".

In spite of having (what was) a very good (and expensive)
video card, it is not Vista compatible, and so many of my
DVD applications will not run.

And I'm still hacked off because my Digital camera and
camcorders will not work with Vista, yet worked perfectly
with XP Professional.

And somewhere along the line, while Vista sees my networked
systems, my network is not yet allowed to see the Vista
Ultimate system.

George.