[access-uk] Setting up laptop dialup, having a problem.

  • From: chairman@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 01:39:31 +0100

Greetings,

Firstly, I must point out that the laptop in question has Windows M.E., I
have **no** intention of changing this at present, so please direct any
comments bearing this in mind.

Before I went out to the States taking my laptop and using the network card
for which the changes were minimal, in the end merely changing the
connection from modem to card, the network worked well once my friend had
sorted problems in the network his end, my machine was always working fine.

Now, however, I am home and need to switch back to the modem.

The problem is that it has been switched back and connects ok in that it
dials out and shows bytes transferred and received as I would expect.

However, if I try to go to any web page, I get the two links saying that
the web page for which I am looking cannot be displayed.  When I attempt to
get mail using my Agent program, I get a Winsoc driver message 1101 saying
hoste name not known.

Maybe I'm very thick, but so far as I know I've not altered anything apart
from making it use the dialup connection thus modem as before.

Oh, yes, I did change one thing, that was instead of having the SpeakEasy
homepage, I changed it to my usual blank one, i.e no home page specified.

I am not sure what or where to look for what.

Note, I am **not** using outlook or other programs for email, I am using
Forte Agent, it dials out when I do ctrl-e to get mail, I.E dials out when
I type in a web address, so I suspect it is something extremely silly I'm
missing.

Cheers.

Colin R. Howard.