[access-uk] Re: SCSCI problem

  • From: "yusuf" <hansel.osman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:02:38 +0100

Hi andrew, Not quite. The new card stutters, but works otherwise. Where as
the old card ...

Well here goes. When I turn my scanner on its supposed to do a pass with the
scanning bar to warm itself up. Up until a month ago it was doing this
correctly when connected to my laptop through the PCMCI to SCSCI adaptor.
However then it stopped doing the pass every so often. This gradually got
worse and worse until the only way I could get the scanner to start itself
up correctly was to turn on the laptop, then turn on the scanner, turn off
the laptop, turn off the scanner and finally turn on the scanner again.

A rather long process to get my scanner warmed up.

With SCSI devices they have to be turned on before the PC they are attached
to otherwise they don't get recognized correctly. I had come to the
conclusion that there must be some low level current (or something) going
between the scanner and the SCSCI when the scanner is first turned on. When
the scanner gets the ok back from the card it does its pass and is then
ready to go. But I think because that card is a year and a half old now
sometimes that ok message isn't getting through to the scanner unless I have
the laptop on first.

Have I made any sense at all? Boy SCSCI is complex.

Yusuf