[access-uk] Removing a Trojan

  • From: "roger.south" <roger.south@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 08:35:31 -0000

Hi All

A few days ago my firewall told me an application named csrrs.exe was asking to
access the internet. I have not heard of this before so did a search on Google
to find it's a well known trojan worm. I permanently denied access and set
about removing it. I can't seem to find a removal tool on the web. I then did
searches only to come up with blanks. AVG Pro, Panda, Spybot, AdAware, CClean,
Registry Mechanic and Housecall all fail to find it. A search on my XP Home
also proves negative. But I had call to go to msconfig to check what was
running at start-up and there it is large as life and twice as natural. The
location was given as:

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

I guess this to be a registry location so went to regedit and did a Find. It
seems to be everywhere in there. I could remove it manually but the registry
makes me very nervous and weak at the knees so I'm looking for any knowledge
you guys may have as to if I'm doing the right thing here, please.

Many thanks

Roger