[access-uk] PC Boot-Up Problem

  • From: Christopher Maule-Oatway <c.maule@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:28:13 +0100

Hello all,

For the last five days my PC has not been booting up properly. The process gets passed the screen with the Windows logo on it, where you can choose how to load Windows. While the little dot things are moving about the screen, the boot-up suddenly stops and the computer resets itself. Here is the story so far ...

On Wednesday evening, I downloaded, installed and ran the Speakon program. During the installation of this program, I was asked if I wanted to install Windows Installer version 2, and I chose Yes. On Thursday morning the computer booted up properly. However, when I turned the machine on that afternoon, the computer started behaving badly!

On Sunday sighted help became available. I tried loading Windows in Safe mode and did a system rollback to two days before this problem started, then re-started the computer. All worked well. But the next day the boot-up problem occurred again. This time I loaded Windows in Safe mode, removed the latest Windows XP updates, re-started the machine, and all worked well.

However, this did not solve the problem, because today the strange boot-up behaviour started again! This time I just loaded Windows in Safe mode and re-started the computer and all is working once again.

I am running XP Home.

Any suggestions as to how I can shoot this bit of trouble will be much appreciated. Please feel free to e-mail me off list at:

c.maule@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I only have sighted help readily available for the next two days!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Christopher