[access-uk] Re: Norton Ghost

  • From: "Stephen " <stephen.tina@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 14:18:44 -0000

Following on from several posts on the list about ghost 9, I thought I'd =
put
up my comments on it, albeit from only a few week=92s ownership of the
product.

I think you can use ghost 9 in two ways: first to make an image of your =
hard
disk, which is like taking a photograph of the disk and can only be used =
restore to exactly the same point,  or secondly by making a system copy =
of
the important folders which can be sequentially updated as the data =
changes.

Personally I use the disk image method, which makes a complete =
compressed
copy of my C partition and saves it on another drive. Obviously it =
cannot
make an image of a drive on the same drive, however, if the C partition =
is
large, you will need a large amount of free space on another drive or
partition as the data might only be compressed by a quarter or so.
=20
I have also used ghost to save an image directly to a writable DVD, and =
I'm
sure that writable cds would work as well, but if the C partition was =
large,
it would be a very tedious process . It would also be quickly out of =
date
and its doubtful if a very out of date backup is much use at all. But a
system bakup would only require the periodic changes saved, so would be
better for use with cds.

My solution was to buy an external hard drive which uses fire wire to
transfer the data between the computer and the drive. I bought the =
Maxtor
one touch 250 gigabyte model, but I don=92t use the supplied software as =
it
only makes system backups , not the images, which I have always found to =
be
superior for restoring from. Images have never let me down, but system
restores have.

My external drive was 160 pounds from DABS.com and it installed like a
dream, being already formatted and supplied with fire wire and USB 2
connections.

A friend has bought a =91Porsche=92 USB 2 external drive for a similar =
purpose,
which cost 50 pounds for 80 gigabytes.

Finally, all this might be slightly academic, as my engineer has not yet =
had
the time to restore from my DVD image onto another computer, so I'm not =
100
percent sure that ghost works, but I'm confident enough of previous =
versions
of ghost, that I don=92t lose any sleep over it.

Of course, as the image restore starts from boot up, it will not be =
possible
to use jaws to perform it and will definitely require sighted help. But =
that
may not be the case if someone wanted to make a partial restore of data =
from
a system backup.

If anybody wants more information than this and I can provide it, please
contact me off list at stephen.tina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stephen Green.

---
=20