[access-uk] Re: My take on accessibility

  • From: "Carol Pearson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "carol.pearson29" for DMARC)
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 17:58:58 +0100

Well, I'm just piggy-backing on this one as I didn't get round to reading it earlier.

Yes, it was a useful article for those who need to know, but it didn't give too much, which would have left the average "man in the street" totally baffled! ...

I personally think that (because you are technically very savvy and love playing with something new) you're doing great yourself, but for every one person who does really well with their Accessible solutions, there are others who don't or just can't get where they need to be. The reasons for this include but are not limited to:

1) The person's starting point and ability to learn has a considerable bearing on the ultimate result of his/her achievements with the ever-changing accessable products available.

2) Insufficient care is often not taken by those selling equipment and/or those assessing and recommending what an individual should use. (Of course, it can be argued that some just buy for the sake of it and are not able to manage that which appealed so much to them at the time!)

3) Technology is changing so fast that people get to a "stop" point when they just can't learn any more ....

4) The amount of teaching required is not given and therefore sometimes/quite often - - those of us struggling a bit (or a lot) are therefore limited by what they are able to learn for themselves. This isn't always sufficient ...

And so the list could go on ...

I am not convinced that Braille has got where it really needs to be for most folk. After all, who wants to couple learning of a phone or tablet with a Braille display, the intricasies of learning the differences that BrailleBack makes to an already learned (learning) TalkBack system, or alternatively, struggling with corrections that they may have to make after dictation.

Finally, for this post, Coping with those things that go wrong and without sight are just either difficult, extremely difficult and time-consuming or just impossible to sort!

Can we go back 50 years? No, no, I don't think so!

However, it's good to get away from the technology sometimes and just take a break - so I'll do that right now!

Well done though, Steve, on your concise and useful contribution.

Carol P

On 22/08/2016 10:53, CJ &AA MAY wrote:

Congratulations, Steve, a well thought-out and informative article, especially for those who know little or nothing about accessibility.

Alison