[access-uk] Laptops

  • From: "Andy Collins" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:32:03 -0000

Hi all

Well, I've been considering a laptop for a while now, and given all the PC
probs I've been having lately, now might be the time to take the plunge, and
I'll at least have a working machine if this one dies or needs serious
surgery <smile>

So, here's the big question! What from experience would people recommend, as
a place to buy, a make of laptop, preferences for laptops over notebooks and
so on. My screen reader will still be JFW, and I guess I might as well go
with Vista too! But I really do need advice with this; I just looked at
Sight&Sound [just for a laugh really as I knew the prices would be over the
top] and they have laptops for £1100! And although that comes with Vista, it
doesn't come with JAWS! How can they justify that kind of pricing I wonder;
if they were more reasonable, I might buy from them again, but that said my
first experience wasn't great with the preinstalled software, but that's a
long time ago now. It really would be great to have a competitive retailer
that understands the screen reader market, but anyway, back to my point,
what do others recommend please -

Andy