[access-uk] Kindle books not speech enabled

  • From: "Clive Lever" <clive.lever@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "BCAB Discussion List" <bcab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ncwfsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 09:09:53 +0100

Hi all,

Please excuse the cross-posting, but I feel this is imprtant enough to ask that
we try to let the message below go viral, so please feel free to post on to
other lists where it may be relevant, and to friends not on the lists I've sent
to.

my partner Andrea and I have been having some frustration with J R R Tolkien
titles. When The Hobbit and the Lord Of The Rings were issued in the cinema,
they were audio-described, but the DVDs that were released did not include the
facility. She suggested that I may have to read the books on Kindle before
seeing the films in order to make more sense of them. The trouble started when
I went to buy the books and found that none of the Tolkien classics were
speech-enabled. So we wrote to Amazon and received the following reply:
"
 Hello,

 I understand your concern in this regard and I am sorry for the inconvenience.

 Please note that, If Text-to-Speech is not available for a title, this
information will be displayed on the item's product detail page in the Kindle
Store.

 Publishers decide whether to enable this feature on their titles, and we
believe most publishers will want to provide customers with this option.

 Customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service and
products we provide. Your comments have been sent to the business team.

 Please feel free to forward further comments and suggestions about Kindle to

kindle-feedback@xxxxxxxxxxxx. Each suggestion will be read and taken into
consideration.

 Should you require any additional information or assistance, please do not
hesitate to contact us.

 http://www.amazon.co.uk/kindlesupport

 I hope this helps.

 Did I solve your problem?

 If yes, please click here:
 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/survey?p=A3GAIZ5N6Y87NT&k=hy

 If no, please click here:
 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/survey?p=A3GAIZ5N6Y87NT&k=hn
"

...and so on. I would urge anyone who wants to buy a Kindle book to check first
in the product details to make sure that it is speech enabled. Then, if you
find that a book you wanted to buy is silent, take Amazon at their word and
write to the feedback address above, and if you can, find out who the
publishers are, and contact them to, telling them the importance of letting
blind Kindle users into their online books. The more we make our voices heard,
the more likely the publishers not enabling their Kindle books to talk will
relent.

As a PS, Andrea is fully sighted but now prefers to use the speech option, to
read books in eyes-busy situations.

Best,

Clive