[access-uk] Re: Info on UPS's

  • From: "Barry G" <lister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 15:54:11 -0000

I have an APC UPS purchased from www.dabs.com and it is pretty good, gives me about 20 minutes battery backup running the pc, router and powered speakers. I know it works as I had a power cut the other day. It will then save work and power down the computer before the battery gives out.

Look carefully at the estimated backup life and at the load they will sustain when you buy - cost ranges from around £45 to thousands, the more you pay, the more life and load you get.

Beware though, most have only kettle lead connections out, and these can be expensive if not enough are supplied with the unit. Also, read the description carefully as normally at least one of the outlets will not be backup protected, although normally all will be surge protected. You need to check how many actual protected outlets there are.

The model that I bought has a user changeable battery so that it can be replaced when it eventually dies, although the batteries aren't much cheaper than replacing he whole unit.

I don't regret buying mine for one minute.

All the best,
Barry G
----- Original Message ----- From: "James Scholes" <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Message sent at 03:32:40 PM GMT on Wednesday, December 03, 2008