[access-uk] Re: Inaccessible website and your rights

  • From: Paul Warner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 15:06:46 +0000

It depends. If the supplier is based in the UK, there is no doubt that the Equality Act 2010 would apply. However, there is no hard and fast rule: it depends on the nature of the goods or services you are purchasing in that if they are purely visual and cannot really be represented in any other way, there is little the supplier or seller can do. The obligation is to make reasonable adjustments and, in relation to information which is readable in text format but which is an image, then a case can be made. Remember that this duty to make reasonable adjustments to make products and services accessible is statutory - the rules apply even if the contracts are silent on the matter.

If no screen reader can access information which is required to use the software or service, then it does suggest that the supplier is in breach of the provisions of the Act. In that case, the supplier is very likely to offer a full refund since it will probably be far more costly for them to make the service accessible in the short term.

Although I am from a legal background, this is really not my field and I hope that those who are better informed will contribute to this.

Paul

On 19/02/2014 14:50, Michael Moore wrote:
Hello,

Can I ask if a VI person has rights if he/she has purchased services
on-line, but which are not accessible by a screen reader? Despite any
contracts, is the person due to have a refund?

Thoughts please,

Mike