[access-uk] Re: IN TOUCH TONIGHT - ANY THOUGHTS?

  • From: "Edward Green" <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 06:37:03 -0000

Hi,

A couple of things struck me both about the sections of Carey's article
cited on the programme and the interview conducted with him.

-          Firstly, he said it was important for RNIB and others to make
statements based on evidence which is what he claimed to do, but then
immediately lapsed into anecdote and opinion to justify his position.  That,
to me, is not evidence.  I do not necessarily agree with his assertion that
visually impaired people are inherently slower at data processing, but even
if it were true in some instances, there was no effort to make any
scientific link between speed and productivity levels, which in my view is
the key.

-          Secondly, as Paul said, I was stunned by Carey's naivety both in
writing the article and in persisting in defending his stance on In Touch.
Clearly no-one has told him about the quasi-public role that chairing a
prominent NGO entails.  It seems strange that the Chair of a campaigning
organisation would make statements in his official capacity that, however
unintentionally, might put back the cause of that campaigning organisation.

Just my two penneth.

Ed