[access-uk] Re: Help required please?

  • From: "Lynda Blake" <lynda.blake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:52:27 -0000

Glad to hear you've got a good tutor Jackie. When you get one they're worth their weight in gold. My writing tutor was fascinated when I told her about JAWS. It has opened up her mind to a whole new world and like your guy she is very careful to make sure everything she sends me is accessible. She has done research on my behalf too, which is excellent. One day when I'm rich and famous (ha ha) hopefully I'll be able to return her kindness.

But on the subject of screen readers, the only one I use now is Thunder and I find it does most things I need. Admittedly I have some sight, so can handle things like opening the Thunder icon, which I think would be hard for anyone with no sight because I do it by playing hit and miss with the mouse. But the program itself is fine. The one thing I would say in respect to dictation though is that I found Thunder's own voice horrendous. I now use a Daniel Real-speak voice and find it very easy on the ear. Some pronunciations are a bit strange, but people using Real-speak with JAWS say the same thing, so that has nothing to do with Thunder itself.

However, when I got Thunder in 2006 I had to pay for the Real-speak voice separately and I imagine that is still the case so since you really need the additional voice to make it palatable it might be pushing things a bit far to say it is free.

Check with www.screenreader.org though because I haven't updated my program for a long time and they may have a section where you can try out the voice for yourself. I know they make every effort to make the program accessible and I have had excellent support from them.

Good luck.
Lynda

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jackie Cairns" <cairnsplace@xxxxxxx>