[access-uk] Help required please?

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <cairnsplace@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 19:10:10 -0000

Hi List

The tutor of the online course I am doing in Sports Journalism has sent me the
request pasted below.  Does anyone have any suggestions I could pass onto him
please?

The info he is looking for is below my signature.

Many thanks for any help.

Jackie

I wondered if I could pick your brains? We are developing online shorthand
training for journalists, and I have been recording dictation passages as voice
files, which we send as email attachments. This works quite well.

But I wondered - do you know any good sites where there are audios or podcasts
etc containing passages of people speaking? It doesn't really matter what
the passages are about, or how long - though if you new any shorthand dictation
sites this would be wonderful!

We've searched the web high and low, with limited results ofher nthan BBC
news-type podcasts - but it occured to me that there might be facilities for the
blind that we may not have heard of?

Or - are there any good, free screen readers available to download - so that we
could send people text, which could be read to them - though preferably
the students would be able to select the speed at so-many words per minute.