[access-uk] Help please restoring Outlook 2010 .PST backup

  • From: "Hussein Patwa" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 23:40:54 +0100

Hi,

I'd be really grateful for any help at all on this one as I'm at the stage
of pulling my hair out having tried everything I can think of to no avail.

I'm running Windows 7 32-Bit with Microsoft Outlook 2010.

I gave my computer the annual reformat last week and as part of this
backed up the Outlook directory within my user profile
AppData/Local/Microsoft.  It was basically all the .PST files for my
various IMAP accounts.  The total folder size is about 22GB, which I
mention just to explain why I'm not at all keen to re-download all the
mail from the server unless I've no other choice.

I can't work out how to use these .PST files and associate them with my
e-mail accounts.  I've created all the accounts again using the Mail
option within the Windows Control Panel.

There is no option for me to specify which file to use with each account.
It defaults to creating its own .PST, but then there is no browse button
or anything similar to specify the file to use.

I tried simply replacing the created .PST with my backed up file, but when
I then started Outlook it proceeded to start fetching messages from the
server, and changed all the message received dates to the current date and
time.

Trying to import the contents of the file is taking forever, and it's
already been running for two hours just for one account.

I can't believe this has to be so complicated as surely it's a process
which many people have done after backups?

If anyone can think of anything to help, I'd be really grateful.  For now,
I've deleted all e-mail accounts and emptied the Outlook folder as given
above

Have a pleasant day,

Kind Regards and Best Wishes,

Hussein.