[access-uk] Have you time to take part in a CAPTCHA experiment?

  • From: "Darran Ross" <darran.ross@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Access-UK" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 21:17:34 +0100

Please find below an email sent to the JAWS-UK list by Jamie Cuthbertson.
Please consider helping out with the survey.

Darran

Hi all,

Apologies in advance because I realise that this is a little off topic but
it is relevant to all screen reader users and those who find seeing computer
screens difficult.

For most of us, unless we have migrated to Firefox, the encountering of
captchas on the web is often a source of major frustration.  A student at
Glasgow University has been doing some work on accessible captchas and is
now looking for blind and partially sighted participants to take part in his
10-15 minute experiment on line.

There is no money in it but Matt would very much appreciate help from anyone
who is willing to give it a shot.  If you are interested, please go to the
following link.  The first page on the site is an agreement page and, if
you're happy, you then are taken on to the experiment itself.  The link for
the site is as follows:

www.tinyurl.com/audiocaptcha

A brief note from Matt is also below:

"Thank you very much for completing the experiment.  I add some allowances
for misspelling of words or getting a word completely wrong, it's
aggravating to users that one small slip will cost them 20 seconds of having
to perform another CAPTCHA.

I've tried some initial tests against automatic speech recognition. Many of
the CAPTCHAs hold up against quiet sophisticated systems, but eventually the
systems can be trained to recognise the voice quite well. I will need to
suggest varying speaker voice in order to complicate this training further!
The primary goal of this experiment is to show that humans can perform the
task accurately, and it seems they can, much more so than speech
recognition!

If you could advertise this experiment I would be very happy! I'm lacking in
participants that are blind or partially sighted at the moment. The more
participants, the better the evaluation which will help the research get
published. From my reading it seems that the other researchers in this field
have somewhat abandoned it, I think it's important that the usability,
especially for those with visual impairments become more publicised.

Thanks again,

Matt"

Feel free to further advertise this experiment through your own networks.

Thanks,

Jamie