[access-uk] Re: Happy 20th Birthday, JAWS for Windows

  • From: "Eleanor Martha Burke" <eleanormarthaburke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 19:37:58 -0000

I found when I started at the Opoen University, they knew all about JAWS as a screen reader and had it loaded on computers for accessability at some courses I attended but they didn't have a clue about Dolphin Supernova which is my screen reader on Windows. While people do knock it, its great advantage is the magnification and speech together. True there is Magic which can be used in conjunction with JAWS but at such a price! Nobody has mentioned Zoomtext, though it has magnification and speech I favour Dolphin Supernova above it. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Derek Hornby" <derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: David Goldfield <david.goldfield@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 20:46:24 -0500

Episode 102 of Freedom Scientific's FSCast podcast reminds us that
2015
marks the 20th anniversary of the JAWS for Windows screen reader. In
fact,
Jonathan Mosen reminds us that January is, in fact, the month in
which JAWS
turned 20. I remember installing and using JFW 1.0 back in  January
of 1995
and I thought I'd dedicate this short blog post to some  of my early
memories of that product and of that time in general.

In 1995, I was working for Blazie Engineering providing technical
support.
Windows 3.1 was a fairly well-established operating system with
several
Windows screen readers already available, including Blazie's own
Windows
Master which I believe was already out at that time. While I had
used
Windows 3.1 and was familiar with it on a very basic level, I was a
edicated
DOS user. While I was very familiar with Vocal-eyes and JAWS for
DOS, ASAP
from Microtalk was my screen reader of choice, along with a trusty
Braille
'n Speak as my speech synthesizer.
It was during the end of 1994 or the very beginning of 1995 when we
received
our boxed copy of JAWS for Windows 1.0, with January 19, 1995 being
the
official launch date of that product. If you really want to read a
piece of
classic assistive technology history, you can, courtesy of the
Internet
Archive's Wayback Machine, read the December 1994 Henter-Joyce
newsletter
which, among other things, contains the big announcement regarding
JFW 1.0.

Around this time, I found out I had enlarged tonsils which needed to
be
removed. As I constantly used my voice to do my job, it was
recommended I
stay home for two weeks during my recuperation. This was, I decided,
the
perfect time to finally dive into Windows 3.1 with our new copy of
JAWS for
Windows, version 1.0.

The box contained a collection of cassette tapes with tutorials
recorded by
Eric Damery and Ted Henter. Eric's voice is very familiar to JAWS
users as
he annually introduces the new features which are being added to new
JAWS
versions. Eric has participated in these recordings since the very
beginning
of JFW and, even in the 1.0 days, was a fabulous and professional
presenter.
I think the product was often referred to as JFW or JAWS for Windows
more
than it is today as Henter-Joyce wanted to distinguish it from the
other
JAWS product which ran on DOS machines.
Once I listened to some of the tutorials, I installed the product
onto my
Windows 3.1 machine from the included 3.5 inch floppy disks,
followed by the
authorization key, also on a floppy, a form of copy protection I had
previously never heard of and was having some difficulty wrapping my
mind
around. After all, in those days most software packages never had
any sort
of copy protection; you installed it and then used it.
Well, the installation and authorization process went smoothly and,
soon
thereafter, I had JFW working with my trusty Bns 640. After all, for
the
most part we had no software-based synthesizers at that time and so
you
needed a bns, Accent, Artic, Audapter, Dec-talk or Doubletalk to get
speech,
with no Braille support at that time.
They wanted JFW to feel like JAWS for DOS by giving it a PC cursor
as well
as a JAWS cursor. It included the insert-G hotkey to label graphics
and the
insert-T hotkey to read the window title, two features we didn't
really need
in DOS. Insert-down arrow was the "say all" key and the other keys
on the
numeric keypad tried to emulate what we were used to with JFD. I
remember
this first version crashing quite a lot but this was quickly fixed
in an
update which I probably downloaded from the Henter-Joyce BBS.

If you're curious about what was added in JFW 2.0, you can go to
their
announcement on an old version of the Henter-Joyce home page, also
courtesy
of the Internet Archive.
Those early versions would have seemed so limited to us compared to
what we
have today, but back then it was cutting-edge technology. The JAWS
cursor
could only move within the active window. When using the Internet,
you had
to press insert-f5 to reformat the page, which you read using the
JAWS
cursor. You couldn't freely navigate through a Web page using
standard
reading commands with the PC cursor the way you can with any screen
reader
today. If my memory is correct, that capability didn't get
implemented until
version 3.31. In fact, the ability to use single letter navigation
keys,
such as pressing H for heading or N to jump to the next block of
text wasn't
even implemented until a later version, probably around 3.5.
What more can I say, except a happy 20th birthday to JFW, or JAWS as
we now
call it. JAWS has certainly come a long way in the past 20 years. I
wonder
what it will be like 20 years from now. I'm sure that it will be
supporting
Windows 43 or whatever OS Microsoft will have pushed out to us and
we'll all
have fond memories of running our screen readers on those ancient,
primitive
Windows 7 computers. It's too bad that the Internet Archive doesn't
supply
us with snapshots of pages from the future.

--
Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer

Don't judge my disability until you witness my ability

Interested in accessibility on the Raspberry Pi?
Visit: http://www.raspberryvi.org/
From where you can join our mailing list for visually-impaired Pi
hackers