[access-uk] HTML emails: really such a hassel?

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 12:20:06 -0000

On several email lists from time to time, and too many to give specific
mentions here, I've noted comments on the supposed unacceptability of HTML
formatted emails on lists that accept them.  Why is this?

I know well that Text Email Fundamentalists as I think of them will thunder at
the waste of space caused by HTML on email lists.  While there's no getting
away from the fact that HTML formatting does take up more space, important in a
list circulating context, is there any reason, as such, to deplore HTML on
grounds of accessibility?  If such an email is less than perfectly accessible
it is so only in the sense that a web page is less than accessible.  So, the
inaccessibility is in the coding, not in the fact of the committing of the sin
of HTML.

I ask this question because if I am ever asked by small organisations I
sometimes work with informally what is best practice, I cannot, in all
conscience, say HTML in emails is a definite no go area.  What's your thoughts?
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx