[access-uk] Re: Fw: Dolphin Pen at Sight Village

  • From: "James O'Dell" <jamesodell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 13:16:45 +0100

I think there are some really big problems with the Dolphin Pen, when you think how little your average public librarian will know about access technology. OK they are writing to every library in the country or whatever, but I would be very interested to hear what kind of response they get. still, they may be happier installing this one, free component than a full product with its own licence. System access sounds like the better option if you don't need magnification, apparently it can even run on guest accounts, no DCM required. I think Dolphin would have been better off developing a separate, more basic product using MsAA instead or something like that, that would truly run anywhere so long as the sound card was enabled. Now they have the problem that they can't really introduce any new features into their line of products that won't work on the pen.

The main use I can see for the Dolphin Pen would be in universities etc with their own IT departments who can install the DCM on every machine or whatever, no need for a network licence. It would also be useful for people who do computer maintenance and training, no need to install software.

James