[access-uk] FW: Re: FW: Re: Top Posting to this list

  • From: "John Farley" <john_farley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 15:45:49 +0100

Hello Derek,

An interesting article about netiquette on a newsgroup.

I now see where you got your views from.

However, it does not take into account 2 important factors for this list.

1. It is primarily used by a relatively small number of people who are
visually impaired and as such do use different techniques to the man in the
street to access the PC. As has been said earlier a sighted person can
scroll down to the relevant part of the new e-mail very much quicker than
can a visually impaired person who has to read each bit, by listening to it,
to recognise when the new parts occur. Many of us using screen readers will
have punctuation set to a level whereby the clues that this is a old item,
e.g. the greater than symbol, are not spoken. Thus it is confusing. I
believe that you are a Braille user and so can get at these clues easily.

This is not a general newsgroup and is therefore probably not subject to the
same netiquette as more public newsgroups are. The article did explain that
part of the reason for middle and bottom posting is due to the frequent use
of cross posting on newsgroups and the issues that are then caused because
of timing conflicts. This is not an issue for this list.

Regards, John

Contact on : (Home)
john_farley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        or : (work)