[access-uk] External Hard Drive Failure, Anyone Shed Some Light?

  • From: "Matthew Horspool" <MHorspool@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <blind-computing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bcab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 22:45:17 +0100

Hi All,

Until about three hours ago, I had a perfectly functional Western Digital
500 GB external hard drive connected to this laptop.  However, as I was
unplugging another device from the wall, I accidentally pulled the hard
drive off the desk by the plug.  It subsequently landed on its side on the
carpeted floor and the power lead was removed in the process.  When I
replace the drive on the desk and reconnected the power lead, the drive
powered on, made three whirring noises and powered straight back down again.
Furthermore, whilst Windows recognised the drive as a drive, it did not map
it to a letter and "Safely Remove Hardware" failed.

I have already spoken to a couple of friends of mine about this issue, one
of whom suggested that it was a problem with the caddy and the other
suggested that it could be a problem with one of the drive heads being
unable to move correctly.  My Dad and I disassembled the caddy and did not
notice any immediately obvious faults or loose connections, so I'm
increasingly of the suspicion that one of the heads is locked.

Does anyone have any idea what can be done from here?  Additionally, what is
the likelihood that my data is irrecoverable?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed any light on this one,
Matthew