[access-uk] Re: Email with a secure password

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 17:29:04 +0100

Hi,

Do Demon use Secure POP3?  I haven't seen many ISPs where this has been
used.  The one advantage with Demon is you can use a different POP3
password than your real log-in password (on dialup anyway), and of
course Webmail is done over HTTPS (as most are and should be) though I
am not sure about POP3 over SSL.

Although Plusnet don't (IIRC) do POP3 over SSL (though it may be worth
checking), they allow you to use IMAP for mail retrieval, and your
password would not be sent over the clear using this protocol if you
used it.

What are the original poster's concerns - the posability of the password
being sniffed or something?

Thanks.
Andrew.