[access-uk] Re: E-mail Address Spoofed

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 11:46:25 +0100

Firstly as some have already pointed out it is relatively trivial to
spoof email headers.  The name and address are the easiest to do.  Most
of the sapm eminates from large automated botnets.  You can tell this
usually if you look through the headers of the hops that the mail has
made from the source I/P through to yourself or whoever it has gone too.
Frequently you will find that these tend to eminate from somewhere like
China where there are large numbers of compromised machines that are
then operated remotely possibly within China or wherever.  A genuine
message would have a different set of message headers where the message
will eminate from a rouces that is regonisably apropriate for that
message.

Those who operate these botnets do so for money by giving an
organisation the ability to reach (spam) a large group of people, for
this the botnet owner gets money.

In prractice there is very little one can do about this sort of thing
because email is NOT secure and the ecobonic incentive too high.  Unless
one uses extra measures like digital signatures it is next to impossible
to vouch for absolute verasity of the email.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support
www.sightandsound.co.uk

Mail:
Tristram: tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Technical: Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
General - info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone:
Support line: 0845 634 7979

Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a company registered in England
and Wales, with company number 1408275.

Sight and Sound Technology
Welton House North Wing
Summerhouse Road