[access-uk] Re: Copyright law?

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 00:25:33 +0100

Andy.  Copyright is very complicated.  I am a bit vague on this
question, and its one I have to sort out for my own work.  I have
just found one sight for starters:

http://www.is4profit.com/busadvice/copyright/basic_copyright_facts/index.htm

Which deals with copyright for small businesses.  I do know that
you are often dealing with at least two sorts of copyright;
rights in the original material, i.e. the artist and/or producer
of the material;  the other is mechanical copyright.  I do here
that where films are concerned many are finding the charges
levied for using excerpts quite prohibitive.

I would say your friend should certainly sort this out if she
intendes using the material publically and in the line of
business.  Possibly one way around it is to hire the material to
be used from a library which, as part of its loan charge, pays
the copyright levy on her behalf.

You have spurred me on by your question to find out more, and I
may let you know off-list what I come up with.
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx