[access-uk] Re: Bookport V Book Currier

  • From: "Colin Fowler" <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:27:00 -0000

 Hi Ray,

Yes, all the reviews have been very interesting. It seems a great shame that
the confusion over the two models and what actual file types that they will
support can not be clarrified by the purveyors. I can't imagine that any
deliberate confusion can do their sales any good.

Colin F

    From: Colin Fowler
    To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  Hi Ray,

    Yes, the url to that comparison review was indeed very useful. However it
would appear that there is a lot of confusion amongst all would be purchasers
both here and in the states.

    "
    At 06:10 PM 8/28/2004, you wrote:
    >Hello, all. I have just finished searching the nfbnet archives for
    >information on the book courier and book port. I am wondering if I can get
    >feedback from current users. Quite a while back, I read a great thread
    >discussing the two units at length posted to the NABS list. From what I can
    >tell, th product.e book port and book courier units are pretty much the
same on the
    >outside, though a bookport user I spoke with tells me that there are a few
    >extra buttons on the bookport, making it easier and less involved to get to
    >certain functions on the unit than on the book courier unit. From what I've
    >read, both units are manufactured by Springer Design, and Springer Design
    >contracts out the sale of the book port to APH. APH wanted a unit that
would
    >be able to read Braille files from web braille and other sources, as well
as
    >requiring that the unit be able to read HTML and MS Word documents. To my
    >knowledge, the book courier has all of the same functionality as the book
    >port, except that it is unable to import and read MS Word, HTML, and
BRF/BRL
    >documents. Is this so?  Would any users like to comment on these two units?
    >
    >I am considering purchasing one of the two units in the next few days. I am
    >torn, because I don't want to have to resave all of my files as text
    >documents in order to read them on the book courier, but you get a $40
    >discount on the book courier if you are a bookshare.org or kurzweil user,
    >something you do not get when ordering a book port. Someone please fill me
    >in on the pros and cons of each unit. The book courier costs $379 or $339
    >with the $40 discount, and book port sells for $395. Is it worth the extra
    >$56 to get the book port which can read several more file formats? If
    >Springer Design has contracted out the sale of book port to APH, will the
    >company continue to update the product? Please forward this message to
    >anyone you know who has either a book courier or book port. I am very
    >interested in all of the input I can get

    .
      ----- Original M

      Perhaps there are some current Book Port or Book courier users on the
list that candispel the confusion and doubts?

      Colin F