[access-uk] Re: Bookport V Book Currier

  • From: "Colin Fowler" <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:47:39 -0000

 Hi Ray,

Yes, the url to that comparison review was indeed very useful. However it would
appear that there is a lot of confusion amongst all would be purchasers both
here and in the states.

"
At 06:10 PM 8/28/2004, you wrote:
>Hello, all. I have just finished searching the nfbnet archives for
>information on the book courier and book port. I am wondering if I can get
>feedback from current users. Quite a while back, I read a great thread
>discussing the two units at length posted to the NABS list. From what I can
>tell, the book port and book courier units are pretty much the same on the
>outside, though a bookport user I spoke with tells me that there are a few
>extra buttons on the bookport, making it easier and less involved to get to
>certain functions on the unit than on the book courier unit. From what I've
>read, both units are manufactured by Springer Design, and Springer Design
>contracts out the sale of the book port to APH. APH wanted a unit that would
>be able to read Braille files from web braille and other sources, as well as
>requiring that the unit be able to read HTML and MS Word documents. To my
>knowledge, the book courier has all of the same functionality as the book
>port, except that it is unable to import and read MS Word, HTML, and BRF/BRL
>documents. Is this so?  Would any users like to comment on these two units?
>
>I am considering purchasing one of the two units in the next few days. I am
>torn, because I don't want to have to resave all of my files as text
>documents in order to read them on the book courier, but you get a $40
>discount on the book courier if you are a bookshare.org or kurzweil user,
>something you do not get when ordering a book port. Someone please fill me
>in on the pros and cons of each unit. The book courier costs $379 or $339
>with the $40 discount, and book port sells for $395. Is it worth the extra
>$56 to get the book port which can read several more file formats? If
>Springer Design has contracted out the sale of book port to APH, will the
>company continue to update the product? Please forward this message to
>anyone you know who has either a book courier or book port. I am very
>interested in all of the input I can get

.
  ----- Original M

  Perhaps there are some current Book Port or Book courier users on the list
that candispel the confusion and doubts?

  Colin F