[access-uk] Re: Bone conducting headphones

  • From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 20:42:27 -0000

HI Barry.

I already use a set of open ear headphones for this purpose, they're called the Plantronics Backbeat 903+ and are Bluetooth behind the neck headphones which sit in the ear canal but are designed in such a way that they don't block out any ambient sound. I've used these when travelling to and from places with my guide dog, both for GPS instruction and listening to a book or podcast, they also have a microphone pass through capability which means that the microphone will act as a very mild amplifier to aid in hearing things like conversation etc. when the music is paused.

All the best, Ibrahim.

-----Original Message----- From: Barry Hill
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:04 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Bone conducting headphones

Hi all

I think this might be something to look out for later this year.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/7/3845460/panasonic-wireless-bone-conduction-
headphones

They are Bluetooth headphones that sit behind the ear and allow the person
to hear both the input from the headset and the surrounding ambient noises.
I think it would be excellent for things such as GPS systems or even, like
many sighted people do, for us to listen to music on the go.

Cheers

Barry