[access-uk] Assessment of software to be used in new employment

  • From: "Kate Oakes" <kate_oakes30@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 10:32:02 +0100

    Hi, I have subscribed to this list as I have just been offered a new job
which would involve using at least one non-standard program that has been
developped in-house by the company and doesn't seem to immediately interface
with JAWS 5.0.
I am aware that I may be able to have scripts written to resolve the issue and
I have already contacted someone about this, but what would be useful is for
someone who has a good knowledge of all the access technology available to come
and give myself and the company an assessment of what else might be available
to assist me in getting access to everything which I need to in this new job.

I have been in my current job for four years, using Jaws and Kurzweil and
Duxbury, so I know these are available.  I am not completely up on the latest
in access technology and don't want to be missing out on anything that could
make my life easier in the new job. In particular, I am wondering if a braille
display might help get round the issues I'm currently having with the bespoke
software.

Can anyone point me in the direction of providers of this sort of assessment
service? I know S&S may be able to help but are there any other suggestions?

Thanks, take care all
Kate