[access-uk] Re: Anyone seen or used a Newsbridge? (More info)

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 18:47:43 -0000

Hi Ron and others.

I think there are certainly some verry positive applications to this kind of
approach but they extend far beyond visually impaired people.

With casettes it was possible to record information on to them imediately by
just pressing the record button.  You could record over them a number of
times and the media was under £3 even for a really decent quality casette.
A basic casette player could be got for well under £30.  The price of USB
drives is certainly falling.  A 1 GB thumb drive can in my opinion be seen
as a good equivalent to a C90 cassette.

USB is reasonably robust and it can take repeated plugging and unplugging of
drives so I think it is a pretty good standard to use, and it is certainly
worth experimenting with.  I think SD cards would be unsuitable as they are
really getting too small and they are easily lost.  compact Flash cards
could be considered but they are a bit of a has been technology already and
some might find them a bit stiff to remove.

Ideally though, as I have said, this news bridge does need to record.  If it
could, then I really think such a device could prove to be a winner that
could get rid of many problems associated with tape such as the tape
twisting and the need to manually wind through a recording in order to get
to the required part.

Regards

Graham
Graham Page