[access-uk] Advice on Two Netgear Routers

  • From: "Darran Ross" <darran.ross@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Access-UK" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 16:36:46 -0000

Hi List.

I've put details of two Netgear routers below, and would really appreciate
it if someone in the know would give me the thumbs up or down on either
model. We want to allow one laptop to access the net throughout the house.
We don't need it for anything else, printers etc. We've got a BT ADSL
connection, and hope the more knowledgeable can advise on whether or not
these will do the job. The first is a Netgear DG834PN, and the second a
DG834N. Or of course, if you can think of something better to do what we're
after then, please fire away. All advice gratefully received.

Thanks a lot to anyone who has the time to deal with this one!

Darran

Netgear DG834PN | WPN111 USB Adapter Bundle
MODEL:
DG834PN-WPN111
Why Buy?
. Combines ADSL modem, router, switch, Super G and 802.11g access point
. Up to 1000% more wireless coverage than 802.11g routers
. RangeMax" Smart MIMO (Multi-In, Multi Out) Technology
6 Internal Smart Antennas adapt on the fly to interference
. SmartWizard" Installation Assistant
. 100% compatible with 802.11b, 802.11g, and SuperG® devices
. Ultra-Secure (double firewall, WEP, WPA-PSK) protect against unauthorized
usage
Click Here For Information On The WPN111What's Included?
. RangeMax Wireless Router (DG834PN)
. WPN111 RangeMax USB Adapter
. 12V power adapter
. Ethernet cable
. Vertical stand
. Setup Guide
. Resource CD
. Warranty/Support information card
DG834PN
(£76.38 inc VAT)

Here's the second option.

Netgear DG834N RangeMax Next 270Mbps Wireless ADSL2+ Router
MODEL:
DG834N
Why Buy?
. Combines ADSL2+ modem, router, switch, and draft 802.11n access point
. Up to 1000% more wireless coverage than 802.11g routers
. RangeMax" Smart MIMO (Multi-In, Multi Out) Technology
6 Internal Smart Antennas adapt on the fly to interference
. SmartWizard" Installation Assistant
. 100% compatible with 802.11b, 802.11g, and SuperG® devices
. Ultra-Secure (double firewall, WEP, WPA-PSK) protect against unauthorized
usage
Specification & System Requirements
System Requirements
. ADSL Internet service
. 2.4 GHz 802.11n draft specification adapter or
. 2.4 GHz 802.11 b/ g wireless adapter.
. Alternatively, an Ethernet adapter and cable for
each computer
. Microsoft® Windows® 98SE, Me, 2000, XP,
Mac® OS, UNIX®, or Linux®
. Internet Explorer® 5.0 or higher
. We recommend using this product with the WN311B or WN511B RangeMax Next
Wireless Adapters
. Standards
. IEEE802.11n draft specification, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11b, 2.4 GHz
. WAN (ADSL): ITU 992.1 (G.dmt) Annex A, ITU 992.2 (G.lite), ITU 992.3 ADSL2
(G.dmt.bis), ITU 992.5 ADSL2+
Ease of Use
. SmartWizard simplifies setup by automatically detecting and configuring
your router for virtually all ISP connections
. Security
. Double Firewall
. Network Address Translation (NAT) to hide
PCs and files from outside users
. Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) firewall to
deny outside requests for personal information
. Denial of Service (DoS) attack prevention
. Intrusion Detection and Prevent (IDS)
. WiFi protected Access (WPA2- PSK, WPA- PSK)
. Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) 64- bit, 128- bit encryption
. Wireless Access Control using MAC address authentication to identify
authorized wireless network devices
. Exposed Host (DMZ) for secure gaming
. Privacy and Parental Control
. Time-based usage controls
. Activity logging
. Remote management
. URL content filtering
Specification
. Constant connection to stream, download & transfer files
. Simultaneous connect to multiple Internet services & online media
. Speeds of up to 270 mbps
. 5-in-1: Modem, Router, Firewall, 4-port Switch, Wireless Access Point
. No need for separate modem; plugs directly into ADSL line
. As always, with NETGEAR's Smart Wizard installation is easy
. Touchless WiFi security easily 'locks-down' your network
. Complies with Draft 802.11n specification*
. Works with existing wireless network devices (802.11g & b)
What's Included?
. RangeMax Wireless Router (DG834N)
. 12V power adapter
. Ethernet cable